Was Your Property Overassessed by the County? Here’s What You Can Do

If you believe the county has overassessed your property’s value
and would like to challenge that assessment, this message is for you.

Want to Buy a Home? Search All Homes
Want to Sell a Home? Get a Home Value Report

You’ve probably already received your “Notice of Valuation” by now, but you might still be unclear on what this document actually is.

According to Colorado state law, each county must reassess the value of the properties within it and notify those properties’ owners of the results every odd year.

The Notices of Valuation sent out this year used data from between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2018. Given the high appreciation rates we saw during that period, property taxes have, unfortunately, rose to reflect this. With that said, this is just a general trend. There are instances wherein the county inadvertently overassesses a home’s value.

If you believe your property has been
overassessed, you may submit an appeal.

If you believe this has happened to you, you may submit an appeal to protest your property taxes. However, you only have until June to attempt this. If you’d like to learn more about what steps to take, we’d be happy to help.

So, as always, if you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Post a Comment